It’s currently 2:36 p.m and Roman and I just got back from our lunch break. We went to Chipotle for lunch which was much needed because we have not gone in what feels like forever! Afterwards, we spontaneously decided to go to Books A Million since it was just down the street and we were so glad we went! It was my first time going and the last time Roman went was when I was still back in California and he shipped me some of the books he got which included cook books, daily devotionals and a bunch of inspirational journals!
Peanut Butter & Banana Frappe!
I’m not sure if Books A Million is only in the East Coast because I don’t think I’ve seen any in California. My go-to bookstore back in SoCal is usually Barnes & Noble so I was thrilled to go here!
I felt like a little kid in a candy store. Roman was happy seeing me happy, because he knew he did a great thing bringing us here today! Lol there were so many selections, I just wanted to stay for hours and browse around.
Christian/ Religion section
The first and main section we looked at was the Christian Living Section. There was an abundance of books that stood out to me and I was just way too excited. Roman felt the same exact way and he actually picked up more books than I did. One book in particular stood out to me and that’s the Daniel Fast! The first time I heard about the fast was from Mack‘s post about a month ago about how her church was doing the fasting based on the Book of Daniel and I was intrigued! I never got the chance to look more into it but when I saw the book– I did not hesitate on getting it!
Excited to read this!!!
What is a Daniel Fast?
The Daniel Fast is a biblically based partial fast referenced in the Bible, particularly in two sections of the Book of Daniel:
- Daniel 1:12, which states, “Please test your servants for ten days, and let them give us vegetables [pulses] to eat and water to drink.”
- Daniel 10: 1-2, which says, “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.”
Daniel Fast: Food List
With a quick google search (pre-reading the book), here’s a list of food you can eat while on the fast:
- Water only-must be purified/filtered and spring or distilled water is best.
- Homemade Almond milk, coconut water, coconut kefir and vegetable juice
VEGETABLES (should form the basis of the diet)
- Fresh or cooked
- May be frozen and cooked but not canned
FRUITS (consume in moderation 1-3 servings daily)
- Fresh and cooked
- May be dried like raisins or apricots (no sulfites or added oils or sweeteners)
- May be frozen but not canned
WHOLE GRAINS (consume in moderation and ideally sprouted)
- Brown Rice, Quinoa, Millet, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Barley cooked in water
- No Wheat, ezekiel bread, others bread, flours, or pasta
BEANS & LEGUMES (consume in moderation)
- Dried and cooked in water
- May be consumed from can as long as no salt or other additives are contained and the only ingredients are beans and water
NUTS & SEEDS (sprouted are best)
- Raw, sprouted or dry roasted (no salt added)
The reason I want to learn more about the Daniel Fast is for spiritual reasons. I want to strengthen my faith even more and to detox and be cleansed.
The following paragraph is found on draxe.com
When you fast and pray—two words that go hand-in-hand in scripture—you pursue God in your life and open yourself up to experiencing a renewed dependence on God, but it isn’t easy.
It is a spiritual discipline that requires denying your physical and mental self because your stomach and your brain will most likely work overtime to remind you when and what they want to eat!
I know this fast will help me to focus more on Christ and I am ecstatic to begin on in this journey and hope to document it all with you!
More books! Roman got Moving Mountains, The Call, and Man of God
I only got one book and Roman got three, so I’m excited for him to start reading and finish them so he can tell me all about it and that maybe I’ll even read it for myself too!
My forever date! Thank you for getting us the books my love!
Overall, this was a nice unexpected trip to Books A Million! I love how Roman and I were able to squeeze a little date in between our lunch break and just spend more time together.
I hope you all have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by!